1850 Onwards Park Road
When houses were first built in Park Road in the late 1820’s there were only 3 properties built, Park Lodge, Bute Lodge and The Old House.
Two further properties Thistleworth and Fairfield Lodge were built during the 1830’s by LW Lloyd and rented out to tenants
In the 1840’s Park Road was extended. A further section was built to continue the existing road
from The Old House towards the River Thames.
The map above shows Richmond Road, with Park Road on the left hand side. The extension runs from The Old House to Madingley.
We have noted all the property names that were given to these houses. It should be remembered that the Villas in the first Phase of Park Road were not named but numbered. eg Bute Lodge was 3 Park Road and The Old House 5 Park Road. This changed in the 1860’s.
The 1849 advert above for freehold building land was placed b Frederick Piggott, a richmond auctioneer and estate agent who took over much of the developement of Park Road after L W Lloy had gone bankrupt in 1840 following his involvement in the building of the Royal Hotel in Richmond with George Topham.
Piggott’s name can still be seen on the wall pictured below next to Elsinore Villas.
The above advertisement from 1856 concerns Fairfield Lodge which was then owned by a London auctioneer named Allen Davies. The house remained in his ownership until his death in 1881. Unfortunately we can find no photographs of Fairfield Lodge which was demolished in the 1930’s.
No.3 Park Road became Bute Lodge around 1859 when the new owner Doctor Alexander Tweedie moved into the property. The name ‘Bute’ presumably originating from his scottish roots.
Park Road extended
Above is a present day view of Springfield Villas in Park Road which were built 1860-70’s. The name Springfield is not in common usage as the houses are just numbered rather than named.
The aerial photo below shows the area in Park Road between Old House Gardens (the site of the Villa named The Old House) and the river.
Above are Elsinore Villas, a large 3 house property.
Above and below are two properties built back to back. Originally named Wathcole and Easeby Cottages, one of them was renamed The Woodlands.
Above is possibly the smallest property Victoria Cottage dates from the 1850’s and externally has little changed.
Below is the property originally named Rosebank. The Coach House on the left is now a separate property.
Above are Russell Villas at the end of Park Road facing the river. Below is the large property Madingly which for a while was the home of the Piggott family. A serious fire destroyed the house around 30 years ago. Madingley Court was built in its place.
Norfolk Villa was originally the last property before the river in Park Road. It was built backing onto Girton Lodge. Both properties were demolished and replaced by Deniel Lodge in the 1960-70’s.
The aerial photo below from the late 1940’s shows the properties at the river end of Park Road.
Below is a present day view of Bute Lodge