1830-1930's Richmond Road
From the early 1830's the land in Twickenham Park adjascent to
the Richmond Road, and below Richmond Bridge was sold for developement.
A series of villas were then built along Richmond Road.
Richmond Bridge these properties ran along the right hand side of the
road in the direction of Twickenham.
The first property built was Caen Lodge which is shown in an old
engraving. The villa was later known as Bertie House and later
Willoughby House which is it's current name.
Image courtesy Richmond Local Studies Library.
Willoughby House about 1990
The second property built around 1830 was named Spring Lodge which
survived until around 1915 when the Villa was demolished and the land
redeveloped for shops.
The third property was known initially as 3 Richmond Road. In the late
1860's a retired jeweller named Samuel Oliver Pierce and his family
moved into the property from their home in Kilburn North London.
Interestingly the Kilburn property was named Ryde Lodge, and the
Pierce's transfered the name when they moved to Twickenham.
The building still survives today and is called Ryde House.
Ryde House 1978 - photo courtesy Richmond Local Studies Library
Ryde House present day
Richmond Road late 19th century
Above is an 1894 map with property names that we have added. All
the properties in this section of Richmond road were again designed
by the London Architect Leonard Wild Lloyd during the 1830's.
Richmond Road early 20th century
Following construction of Caen, Spring, and Ryde Lodges L W Lloyd
designed Albermarle, Ivermore, and Langham House, which was on
the corner with Park Road.
A 1920's aerial view of Richmond Road looking towards Richmond Bridge.
We have named the properties still surviving at this time.
The maps below illustrate the changes to this section of Richmond Road
between 1913 and 1935. Spring Lodge had been demolished and
replaced by the Gaiety Picture Theatre by 1915.
The Cinema was converted to a billiard hall by 1930 and the shell of the
building still survives present day as offices called Richmond Bridge House.
By 1935 only Willoughby House and Ryde House had survived.
Shops have replaced all the other properties.
1915 postcard showing Richmond Road towards the bridge. Gaiety Cinema on left
Below another early 1920's aerial view.