Following the death of Phebe Budd Budd her estate passed to the family of
Frederick John Budd Budd. One of the first properties to be disposed of was
the Mansion at Twickenham Park as it was surplus to requirements as the
family were living in Sussex.





The Mansion viewed from the driveway

Twickenham Park Mansion auction
The auctioneers Chancellor & sons of Richmond acquired the property and by
1898 were using the Mansion as a temporary auction room.



1900 Mansion becomes Ravensbourne School



1901 census Twickenham Park Mansion

Around 1900 Bedford Park High School near Chiswick were looking for larger
premises. They appear to have taken a short lease on the Twickenham Park Mansion
around 1900. Chancellor & Son remained owners.


Click on above for larger image

The 1901 census above shows Ravensbourne School located between
The Elms St Margarets and Russell Villas, both of which are now in
Duck's Walk and shown on the 1915 map below.




1902 Twickenham Park Mansion

In 1900 the mansion was renamed for a short time Ravensbourne House.
The Electoral Register above shows Mary Alice Lyster, Head Mistress of this
private girls boarding school. She ran the school with her sister
Elizabeth Hester Lyster until they relocated to larger premises at Crofton Grange
near Orpington in 1903.
The 1902 directory below shows the school at the end of Riverdale Road. This was
because the nearest road to the mansion, Ravensbourne Road had yet to be named.





Click on above images for larger picture

The above photo shows the original gated entrance into the Mansion
grounds. This dates from the 1920's when Thames Sand & Gravel Co Ltd
were operating from this site.
The picture below shows an enlarged detail of the left hand gate pillar.
Underneath the Thames Sand & Gravel sign can be seen the name
Ravensbourne which dates back 20 years before when the mansion was
used for a short period as a private girls school.


The original gate pillars still stand although the cast iron gates are long gone.




1907 Twickenham Park Mansion auction

By 1907 Messrs Chancellor & Son advertised the Mansion and Grounds
for auction again.



Click on above for larger image

 

Photo courtesy of Anna Hay, great grand daughter of Edith Ann Baker (Budd Budd)



The two photographs show the fountain in the mansion grounds in the 1890's and
below in the 1920's by which time the fountain had been removed.

In the above picture the building in the distance is Asgill House which is on the
opposite bank of the Thames at Richmond.

1911 census Twickenham Park Mansion

The 1908 auction appears not to have been successfull as Chancellor's are
still shown as owners in 1912. When the census was taken the previous year in
1911 the Jackson family were listed as resident at the mansion, now called
Twickenham Park House. Charles Jackson was a 50 year old married police sargeant
who presumably was renting the property from Chancellors.



The above photo from the 1890's shows the conservatory adjascent to
the fountain in the mansion grounds. This outbuilding dates back to when the
Todd family built the mansion in the 1820's. They commisioned the architect
J B Papworth to design additional features.

This conservatory was originally sited on the front side of the mansion and
abutted to the building but was later moved to the position shown.

1915 De Trafford family Twickenham Park Mansion

Chancellor's appear to have sold the mansion by 1915 to the De Trafford family of
Richmond. They had recently lived at Queensberry House Richmond but seem to
have acquired the mansion as an additional home.
The family comprised of Galfried Aloysius Cathcart De Trafford and his wife Cecile.
They had three children; Cecil Noel born 1888, Ralph Eric Galfrid Antony born 1892
and Daphne Ruth Elizabeth Adelaide Mary born 1903.



De Trafford's son Ralph was killed in action during the Great War.

1920 auction Twickenham Park Estate
In 1920 the remainder of Phebe Budd Budd's estate was auctioned by
Messrs Tyler & Co of London. The advert below details the individual lots
which include the two original entrance lodges.



1923 Twickenham Park Mansion

By 1923 the De Trafford family are living solely at Queensberry House Richmond.
Galfrid De Trafford died in 1924 at Rapallo Italy. The mansion which was now
known as Twickenham Park House moved into it's final phase of ownership.

Firstly the property was acquired by Thames Sand and Gravel Co Ltd who had
purchased the surrounding land for gravel extraction.


.

.

Click on above images for larger picture

At the same time an architect named Robert Lowry of 33 St James Street SW1
is listed on electoral registers as living at The Mansion.

The Lowry family previously had lived at 5 Park Road Twickenham Park. Their
stay at the mansion was short as in 1926 they had moved to Denham Hill Higher
Denham Bucks. We are uncertain of the arrangement between Thames Sand and
Gravel and the Lowry family as they both seem to have occupied the property
at the same time.


 

 

1929 Twickenham Park Mansion Demolition

By 1929 Thames Sand and Gravel had extracted most of the available gravel. All that
remained was directly beneath the mansion which was soon removed after the house
was demolished. The photo below was taken in the mansion's final days where it had
stood for roughly 100 years.


Home